Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Can you unscramble a scrambled egg?

‘Tsunami’ is a word that I’ve never heard of until last Sunday. Had some one asked me what I think this word means, assuming that whatever happened last Sunday never really happened, I would definitely have attributed it to the name of a ‘school gal’ toon in some series that is shown on Animax. I’m no quiz wiz, but I’m sure most people in India (for that matter, even in most parts of the world) have never heard of this word ever. Today, the tiniest among the tiny tots in the neighborhood knows what it means and can give you his/her own version of its meaning!

Talking about tiny tots and Animax…. I can never really forget my childhood days. There have been wonderful times, there have been sunny days when there were so many friends around to play with, there have been fights with friends, heart breaks and disappointments and there have been lonely, gloomy days as well. Whatever the case was, one thing that never changed was (and thankfully still is) the reassuring presence of my Parents. They’ve witnessed every single happening in my life, the trials and the tribulations of adolescence, the glories and the defeats of early adult hood (till date). They’ve always stood by and done their best to put me and keep me going on the right track.

Yesterday was just another day until I got back home and found a New Year card waiting for me. It was from my Parents. It definitely lit up my face with a smile. I read what it had to say (…a very simple and plain card it was), dropped it on the table and sat down in front of the television with a plate of rasam rice in my hand. The television gave sufficient food for thought but, at the end of it all, I completely lost my appetite. There was a lot of news on the state of affairs. It was evident that relief operations were happening in full swing.

What really touched my heart was the look on the eyes of the children who have lost their Parents (one or both of them) to the killer waves. There were so many tidbits of news. There was one on how a baby girl, born blind, has lost her mother to this catastrophe. It was good to learn that several people have offered to get her vision back for her by funding for the surgery. There was the case of a two young boys who have both lost their parents and were together at the relief camp. There was a case of a grandmother and her grand children being alive and together. In this case, the Parents were both missing.

When I was a little girl, my Mom used to take my kid Bro’ and me to a garden near the post office every evening. It used to be a sweet little place. It had some plants with yellow flowers (dunno what flowers they were, but they were yellow and never had any fragrance), butterflies and dragonflies flying about and a tank with a lot of fungus at the bottom. The tank always amused my Bro and me the most because it had ‘green water’. My Mom used to sit on a wooden bench, most often the one at the right most corner, reading a book, while the two of us used to play about. I would want to carry all my dolls with me to that garden ‘cos I would think they may be lonely without me and every evening my Mom used to patiently talk me out of the idea. I remember the times when I used to trouble my Mother endlessly asking for dresses to be stitched for my dolls. Thanks to my Dad my collection of dolls used to keep growing every month or so (to my Mother’s dismay). This is just a tiny fragment from the tastefully woven, large fabric of my childhood memories and it is safely and strongly written into my very soul.

There have been very testing times when I had almost completely lost all the confidence I had in myself. My parents were there to induce it back in me. There have also been numerous occasions when I had been a trifle too over confident. Then again, they were there to point out that this might lead to my downfall. They have always given me a strong sense of security. I’ve always had this feeling that I have something to fall back on and this gives me the confidence to step up, explore and grow! Every human being deserves to experience this.

Children who have a healthy and happy childhood definitely grow into more confident, friendly and most often law abiding adults.

Nature can be as unpredictable as it is beautiful. This time, it has chosen to cruelly rip some young souls off the childhood that they rightfully deserve.

Its heartening to see the number of people who are more than willing to extend a helping hand to the Tsunami victims. It’s a strong sign that humanity hasn’t lost all its goodness and gone stale altogether, although its flavor has altered with time. Lets do our best for these children although we can never provide the childhood that they would have had, had their parents been alive- we can never really unscramble a scrambled egg!…can we? :(



Blogroll Me!





-->