Monday, January 17, 2005

Sugar and Spice, and everything Nice

If you think this is about all the goodies that I hogged over the weekend, you are right…but not entirely! The past 4 days have spiced up my life, if you believe that variety really is the spice of life (ie). Some of them (the days, I mean) have been as delicious as the cream that’s atop a strawberry tartlet and some others have produced in me, the effect of consuming an abominable amount of chili sauce.

Last Thursday was a garlic bread day. It wasn’t sweet surely, but it wasn’t spicy either. It was very tasty. Pongal was round the corner. To add on to this, we were relocating to a new building. Everybody in the office was busy packing their stuff (ranging from documents, books and floppies to clocks, marble figurines and peacock feathers) in cardboard cartons, sealing the cartons with a great deal of care and writing their names on the cartons. People were making fun of each others keepsakes and there was a lot of excitement about the seating arrangements at the new location. It sure was fun to sit back and watch. I, for one, did not have anything to pack.

I did some shopping at Mylapore on Thursday evening. The place was buzzing with activities. There were people everywhere, busy bargaining for or buying sugar canes and bunches of turmeric. Got back home thoroughly tuned and equipped with all the raw materials (sugar, cashews, raisins, ghee, sugarcanes, turmeric, veggies, etc) for Pongal.

Of the four days that I’m focusing on (Friday to Monday) the first two were strawberry tart days filled with fun and frolic. Kalkand bath, rangolies with bright hues, temple bells, crisp new cotton kurtas, chirpy neighborhood, a whole lot of guests, the fragrance of ghee in the air…hmm, life can’t get better than that!

Sunday wasn’t as sweet as the 2 days that preceded it, but it was delicious in its own way. Had a very good time. I bought some beautiful glass bangles for the first time and will repeat this act again frequently, ‘cos, doubtlessly I like the bangles immensely! ;) They are a peculiar shade of brown. A 3-in-1 shade-The color of honey and chocolate with a ting of reddishness.

Monday is the day that actually made me feel like I’ve drained all the chili sauce in a can down my mouth. It made me realize that not only curiosity, over-enthusiasm too kills the cat - especially if it has a bit of ugly luck to go with it. This being the first day of work at the new office, I was suppose to be picked up from a spot that’s about 4 kms from where I live, at 7.45am. With a great deal of zest I woke up at 5.30am and was ready by 7.15am. I was at the pick up point at 7.30 on the dot. The pick up point (like hell) was beside the main road that takes you to the airport. My day started with inhaling the abundantly available carbon monoxide and a whole lot of dust while waiting for the bus. By the time the bus (finally) came to that spot at 8.30, I was coughing badly, my eyes were watering and I was completely pissed off. It was sunny and I was sweating as well. Although every nerve in my brain instructed me to scream at the transport coordinator who was seated comfortably on the first seat, I had enough sense in me to give him a smile and take one of the seats at the front end of the bus (so that I wouldn’t add a sprained back to the list of problems that the day had already ‘blessed’ me with). After all, it isn’t anybody’s fault. I casually mentioned to him that this pick up point is quite far off from where I stay and that the bus has been a bit too (unforgivably…grrr!) late on the very first day. Nothing extraordinarily bad happened the rest of the day, but I wasn’t happy with anything the whole day. The after taste of the happenings of the morning was there all through the day!

I always do my best not to hit the roof when I expect things to go one way and they head in the direction that’s right the opposite. It’s evident that I haven’t been very successful. In this case, I’m glad that I at least did not blown out steam and make somebody else’s day as distasteful as mine.

It’s definitely important to be able to accept (if not relish) the spicy side (awfully spicy. Not the kind that just adds taste) of life as comfortably as one accepts the sweeter side. I hope to be able to do it, but only with the best teacher by my side-Time!:)




Blogroll Me!





-->